Panama, the waistline of the Americas. Famous for the engineering wonder of the Panama Canal, which weds east to west in global commerce. However, there’s far more to experience in Panama than man-made marvels alone!
Pristine beaches and big city nightlife give a taste of the country’s outstanding assets. But away from the hustle and bustle of the big cities. Lush untouched rainforests await, with a wonderful diversity of wildlife and many endemic species only found here. The capital, Panama City is a cosmopolitan mix of chic restaurants, gleaming high rises and restored colonial architecture that will appeal to city slickers. Whilst outdoor enthusiasts will love the highlands of Chiriquí province with its refreshing mountain air, stunning scenery and a plethora of active adventures.
The country blends together seamlessly the modern developments of the past century, with its rich indigenous and ecological heritage. Meanings regardless of taste, there is something to be found here for everyone.
- Marvel at the monster freighter and capuchin monkeys sharing the Panama Canal
- Perfect beaches and poisonous dart frogs in the Bocas del Toro Archipelago
- The great no man’s land of jungle known as the Darien Gap
- Swim with sea turtles and sharks in Parque Nacional Coiba
- The serene 13km arc of sand at Playa las Lajas, along the surfers’ paradise, of the Gulf of Chiriqui
- Trek through Parque Nacional Volcan Bary in search of elusive wildlife
When to Visit
Panama has a tropical climate, so temperatures are pretty consistent year-round. The best time to visit Panama is between mid-December and mid-April when the weather is dry and sunny. The rainy season runs from mid-April to mid-December, with the heaviest rains typically occurring between October and November. However, the rainforest is lush and green during this time, and it can still be a great time to visit if visitors are prepared to get wet.
Average monthly high and low temperatures, plus average monthly rainfall and days with rain can be seen below for Panama City.