Almost any kind of adventure that you could imagine is possible in this boot-shaped nation. The stunning combination of romantic cities, glistening lakes, rolling Tuscan hills and iconic historical sites, all blended with delicious Italian food, world renowned wine, and warm, charming people. Explore the enchanting Venice canals, lose yourself in the Renaissance capital of Florence or experience the inescapable lure of the ‘Eternal City’ of Rome. Italy is also home to some of the most picturesque coastal towns in the world, uncover the charming delights of Amalfi and Cinque Terre while indulging in the world class gastronomy.
Further north, explore the beauty and tranquillity of Lake Como, Lake Garda and Lake Maggiore. With captivating views, shimmering waters and charming architecture, the Italian lakes are perfect for a romantic and peaceful retreat. Holidays to Italy extend beyond the mainland; Sicily, at the toe of Italy’s boot, boasts a fascinating history and elegant, beachfront resorts. There’s also Sardinia with its wild coastlines, isolated coves and some of the most beautiful beaches in Italy.
- Explore the famous landmarks of Rome, Florence, Milan and Venice
- Sample the amazing food, from pizza in Naples, risotto in Milan and of course Parma for ham
- Have the drive of your life along the coastal roads of the Almafi Coast
- Fuel your inner adrenaline junky by skiing in the Alps, hiking the Dolomites, climbing the cliffs of Sardina and mountain biking the hills around Lake Garda
- Take to the waters of Lake Como and explore the beautiful rolling hills of Tuscany
When to Visit
The best time to visit Italy varies by region. You can expect hot summers in areas such as Sardinia and Sicily, and on the mainland, the Bay of Naples area will be warm from April-May onwards. The summer months are therefore best suited for relaxing along Italy’s coastlines and beaches. For exploring the cities or hiking in the countryside and mountains March through to May and October are the best times, when the heat is a bit less overbearing. In the winter months, the conditions in the Italian Alps are perfect for a skiing holiday.
Average monthly high and low temperatures, plus average monthly rainfall and days with rain can be seen below for Rome & Milan.