A country rich in contrast, this small nation is modern and forward-looking, yet myths of three-headed mountain gods endure. Offering a remarkable blend of spectacular landscapes, an intriguing and varied history, mouth-watering cuisine, and a wealth of outdoor activities to pursue. An idyllic, natural paradise, Slovenia boasts an enchanting range of landscapes. The dramatic, mountainous scenery of Lake Bled and the Julian Alps transform into the rolling fields and lush vineyards of Slovenia’s wine regions, while elegant Mediterranean towns and pebble beaches are scattered along its Adriatic coast. However with half it’s total landmass covered by forest, it’s also one of the greenest counties on earth.
Ideal for an active holiday, outdoor pursuits are plentiful and popular amongst both visitors and locals. Offering summer holidays of hiking and cycling amongst the glorious scenery or white water rafting on its glittering, turquoise rivers, plus skiing in the winter, Slovenia has something for everyone.
- Take in the view of Ljubljana’s Old Town and bridges from the ramparts of Castle Hill
- Hike between mountain huts on well-marked trails in the Julian Alps / Triglav National Park
- Raft the foaming waters of the Soca River
- Relax by the Adriatic Sea at Piran, the top destination on countries small stretch of coastline
- No trip to the country is complete without visiting its most famous attraction, Lake Bled. Additionally, Lake Bohinj is equally as stunning but offers fewer crowds
When to Visit
May through to September offers the best of the weather, with temperatures peaking in the high 20s during the summer months. This combination along with long days makes it the ideal time to explore Slovenia’s varied landscapes and indulge in the numerous activities on offer. The country does have quite consistent rain year-round though so make sure you pack your waterproofs, regardless of when you visit. Finally, the mountainous regions are dusted with snow and therefore offer the chance for winter sports activities, along with Christmas markets in the capital Ljubljana.
Average monthly high and low temperatures, plus average monthly rainfall and days with rain can be seen below for Ljubljana.